Van drivers transport guests from the overnight host Congregations to the Day Center at the YMCA (70 Forest Ave.) in the morning, and from the Day Center back to the overnight host congregation in the evening using a 15-passenger van. In addition, van drivers may on occasion transport guests to daytime appointments from the Day Center.
- Pick up guests from the host congregation at approximately 7:00 a.m. and transport them in the 15-passenger van to the Day Center.
- Open the Day Center and remain with guests until a staff member or a volunteer arrives at 8:00 a.m.
- Arrive at 4:30 and close up the Day Center.
- Transport guests in the 15-passenger van from the Day Center to the host congregation at approximately 5:00 p.m.
- Transport van to overnight parking area.
- Provide hospitality to guests and maintain guest confidentiality at all times.
Drivers report and are accountable to the Associate Director.
The van driver must be at least 25 years of age, have a valid driver’s license, and have a driving record that shows no DUIs, and no accidents or moving violations in the past three years. Van drivers must also have an ability to relate well to people from diverse backgrounds and a sensitivity to the issues related to family homelessness.
The morning shift requires the van driver to be at the host congregation by 6:30 am and remain with guests until approximately 7:30am. The evening shift requires the van driver to arrive at the Day Center at 4:30 pm and transport families to the Host Congregation at 5:00pm. Both shifts are 1.5 hours each at minimum. Hours on the weekend may vary slightly, and will also include an extra trip to transport the beds between Host Congregations on Sundays. Two van drivers will be hired to cover all these hours.
GPFP provides the 15-passenger van, which is insured.
Background checks are required for the van driver including a driving record check. GPFP will request the background checks and pay the related cost upon completion of the application and consent by the van driver applicant.
This position pays $14/hr. Benefits of working for Greater Portland Family Promise include the opportunity to provide a meaningful service to a nonprofit organization and the families it serves; also an opportunity to interact with people from diverse backgrounds.
Send letters of inquiry/application to email@example.com