- Safe, homelike shelter where families can stay together.
- Guests cite the caring of volunteers as one of the most important benefits; “I never knew so many people cared.”
- Intensive case management to assist in finding housing and jobs and meeting other needs.
- Guest families secure long-term housing.
- Opportunity to help homeless families directly; to make a difference.
- Opportunity to do outreach within their own congregation or a nearby location.
- Wide range of volunteer activities to vary schedules and levels of commitment.
- Opportunity for families to volunteer together.
- Opportunity for meeting the needs of people in the community.
- Opportunity for participation in the community interfaith project.
- Increased sense of community among members as they share the effort.
- Cost-efficient mobilization of community resources.
- Does not duplicate services already in the community; works with social service agencies to provide counseling, job training, help with housing search, etc.
- Does not institutionalize shelter as a solution to homelessness.
- Becomes a catalyst for other community initiatives, such as job counseling, parenting workshops, transitional housing, etc.