Handout for Printing and Distribution: GPFP Basic Handout – 3 per sheet
Greater Portland Family Promise, an affiliate of the national Family Promise program, is dedicated to addressing the needs of families facing homelessness in the Greater Portland, Maine area. Through an interfaith network and connections with existing community resources, Family Promise provides housing, meals, case management and community for children and their families experiencing homelessness.
Host Congregations – Hosting rotates weekly among 13 host congregations. Each host congregation provides lodging, three meals daily, and hospitality.
Day Center – Guests call our Day Center at the home from 7:00 AM to 5:00 PM, 7 days/week.
Volunteers are the heart of the program. They can share their time and talents in many ways, usually just for a few hours every three months.
Transportation – A Family Promise affiliate van transports guests to and from the Day Center.
Summary of Program Benefits
- Homelike shelter where families can stay together.
- Guests cite the caring of volunteers as one of the most important benefits.
- Intensive case management to assist in finding housing and jobs and meeting other needs.
- Guest families secure long-term housing.
- Opportunity to help homeless families directly
- Opportunity to do outreach within their own congregation or a nearby location.
- Wide range of volunteer activities to vary schedules and levels of commitment.
- Opportunity for families to volunteer together.
- Meeting the needs of people in the community.
- Participation in the community interfaith project.
- Cost-efficient mobilization of community resources.
- Does not duplicate services already in the community; works with social service agencies to provide, job training, help with housing search, etc.
- Does not institutionalize shelter as a solution to homelessness.
- Becomes a catalyst for other community initiatives, such as job counseling, parenting workshops, transitional housing, etc.
Greater Portland Family Promise
PO Box 11048 |Portland ME 04104
Sara Ewing-Merrill, Executive Director